PHILLIP SULLIVAN, JR., represented by LEE LITIGATION GROUP, PLLC , filed suit in State of New York on 2019-07-15 alleging that EMERALD EXPOSITIONS, LLC d/b/a CONNECTING POINT MARKETING GROUP website www.cpmgevents.com is not accessible using the following testing standard(s): WCAG 2.1, Section 508.
The plaintiff's issues with the site mentioned in the suit include:
The failure of Defendant to provide equal access to deaf and hard-of-hearingindividuals violates New York state law, including, but not limited to, New York State Human Rights Law, N.Y. Exec. Law, and New York State Civil Rights Law. Remedying that violation is critical to the state law’s goal of providing people with disabilities the same access that others take for granted. Accordingly, Plaintiff seeks injunctive and declaratory relief to ensure that deaf and hard of hearing individuals have equal access to the Website.
The plaintiff is seeking the following (Prayer for relief):
- A preliminary and permanent injunction to prohibit Defendant from violating the N.Y. Exec. Law § 296, et seq., N.Y.C. Administrative Code § 8-107, et seq., and the laws of New York;
- A preliminary and permanent injunction requiring Defendant to take all the steps necessary to make the Website fully functional and compliant with WCAG 2.1 A and AA Standards, so that the Website is readily accessible to and usable by deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals and other individuals with impairments, such as those who are visually impaired.
- A declaration that Defendant owns, maintains, and/or operates the Website in a manner which discriminates against the deaf and hard of hearing, and which fails to provide access for persons with disabilities as required by N.Y. Exec. Law § 296, et seq., N.Y.C. Administrative Code § 8-107, et seq., and the laws of New York;
- Compensatory damages in an amount to be determined by proof, including allapplicable statutory damages and fines, to Plaintiff for violations of their civil rights under New York State Human Rights Law and City Law;
- Plaintiff’s reasonable attorneys’ fees, statutory damages, expenses, and costs of suit as provided by state law;
- For pre- and post-judgment interest to the extent permitted by law; and
- Such other and further relief as the Court deems just and proper.
The specific laws that EMERALD EXPOSITIONS, LLC d/b/a CONNECTING POINT MARKETING GROUP allegedly violated include:
- Violation of New York State Human Rights Law, N.Y. Exec. Law, Article 15 (Executive Law § 292 et seq.)
- Violation of New York State Civil Rights Law, NY CLS Civ R, Article 4 (CLS Civ R § 40 et seq.)
- Violation of New York City Human Rights Law, N.Y.C. Administrative Code § 8-102, et seq.)
- Declaratory Relief